Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Is there such a thing as cheating on your teacher?

I have been studying Ashtanga with the same teacher since 2009.  My teacher is authorized through KPJAYI.  She is a really good teacher and I have learned so much from her.  However, as my passion for Ashtanga deepened, so did my desire to meet other teachers through workshops and other events.  Over the last year, I took workshops with Kino MacGregor, Tim Miller and Lori Brungard.  I also plan to travel and study with Sharath.  This leads me to a question that has been bugging me for some time.

Is there such a thing as cheating on your teacher? 

My teacher was unhappy that myself and two of my friends went to see Kino.  I do understand part of her point, that you should only have one teacher or else you will become confused by conflicting guidance.  But that isn't the only reason she was upset.  She believes that since she is authorized, she should be enough for her students and they shouldn't want or need to look elsewhere.  Am I breaking some ethical code by occasionally studying with another qualified teacher?  I still intend to study full-time with my original, current teacher; but sometimes, I'd like to meet and learn from other teachers as well.  Each teacher has different strengths, and by blending their teachings together, I feel I have learned a lot more about yoga.
      

2 comments:

  1. Stove pipe style communication as well learning has been shown to limit potential as well as cut ones ability to gain additional knowledge on a subject. Your teacher should be more open minded, I think she just wants all of your money for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is such a thing as cheating on one's teacher, so long as you respect the authority and the instruction of the "original" teacher while you are in her shala, and do not contradict her instructions when you are with her by using the "new" teacher's authority to back you up ("But Kino said I am ready for Kapotasana!", etc., etc.). If you do not agree with the original teacher's teaching, you can always go to a different shala or practice at home by yourself. Same goes for the new teacher.

    That said, Guruji did famously say, "too many gurus, crazy making!" I suspect that at some point down the road, you are going to have to decide who is your main or primary teacher, the one that you would trust to go see if you broke all the major bones in your body from skydiving, and the doctor said you would never walk again (I know, that's a bit dramatic, but I think you get the point...).

    ReplyDelete